duck!

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Nov 19 12:43:35 PST 2010

> On 11/11/10 6:30 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

>>> Probably not in as strong terms, but if you want to point out that I'm
>>> biased... what can I do? I'm a simple man.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> When I first heard you say you were biased (in the Google Talk), I
>> thought you were being facetious, or just exaggerating.
>>
>> I'm not so sure anymore, and I hope that is not the case. Because, as
>> I'm sure you must realize, being biased for D will only result in an
>> outcome of mild to severe annoyance and loss of credibility from:
>> * people biased for languages which are perceived to be competitors to D
>> (like Go).
>> * people who are (or strive to be) unbiased.
>>
>> And given who you are (one of the designers of D), this outcome will
>> apply not just to yourself, but D as well, which obviously is not a good
>> thing.
>
> I think I ascribe a milder meaning than you to "bias". It's in human
> nature to have preferences, and it's self-evident that I'm biased in
> favor of various facets of D's approach to computing. A completely
> unbiased person would have a hard time working on anything creative.
>
> Andrei

I don't think the bias above is just a case of preferences of one thing
over the other. Having preferences is perfectly fine, as in "I prefer
this approach", or even "I think this approach is more effective than
that one".
Another thing is to describe reality in inaccurate terms ("I think
approach A has property Z", when it doesn't), and/or to have a double
standard when describing or analyzing something else.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer