Basic coding style

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 05:22:30 PST 2010

On 22.11.2010 15:29, bearophile wrote:
>  From what I'm seeing in D.learn there is a problem in the D community: some people seem irrationally attached to the idea they are free to write D code as they like. I have four or five times tried to explain why coding standards are important for the development of the D community, but it seems not everybody is understanding it.
I see no problem in any style, as long as it's consistent.
> So I suggest everyone that understands this problem to assume a more rigid and strict attitude toward this problem, because the D2 language community is just starting to develop now, and you don't want it to become the mess the C/C++ world it. I am talking about cases of struct/class names, cases of function names, and few other things.
>
> If I import a module written by another person, I don't want to look in the docs every time to know if the names start with upper case or lower case, and I don't want a module of mine that uses three modules written by other people to look like a patchwork of different styles (because half of it uses an API with a style and half of it with another API and some bits written in a third way).

Usually I'd always check the docs before using functions/classes, and
not because of name alone.
In the end if you dislike theirs naming scheme so much, just make
aliases/wrappers,
which are often times needed anyways.
They may just as well adopt a classic C-like interface (like zlib for
instance) and
what if you dislike it and like classes/generics/ranges ?
Shoot them all, huh?

--
Dmitry Olshansky