Looking for champion - std.lang.d.lex

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Nov 23 17:25:46 PST 2010

"Andrew Wiley" <debio264 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.501.1290205603.21107.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM, bearophile
> <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>wrote:
>
>> Bruno Medeiros:
>>
>> > Java is quickly becoming a legacy language? the next COBOL? SRSLY?...
>> > Just two years ago, the now hugely popular Android platform choose Java
>> > as it's language of choice, and you think Java is becoming legacy?...
>>
>> Java on Adroid is not going well, there is a Oracle->Google lawsuit in
>> progress. Google is interested in using a variant of NaCL on Android too.
>>

> I have to agree with Bruno here, Java isn't going anywhere soon. It has an
> active community, corporations that very actively support it, and an open
> source effort that's probably the largest of any language (check out the
> Apache Foundation project lists). Toss in Clojure, Scala, Groovy, and
> their
> friends that can build on top of Java libraries, and you wind up with a
> package that isn't becoming obsolete any time soon.

To be clear, I meant Java the language, not Java the VM. But yea, you're
right, I probably overstated my point.

What I have noticed though is, like Bruno said, a slowdown in Java language
development and I can certainly imagine complications from the Oracle
takeover of Sun. I've also been noticing decreasing interest in using Java
(the language) for new projects (although, yes, not *completely* stalled
interest) compared to 5-10 years ago, sharply increased awareness and
recognition of Java's drawbacks compared to 5-10 years ago, and greatly
increased interest and usage of other JVM languages besides Java.

Ten years from now, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Java (the
language) being used primarily for maintenance on existing software that had
already been written in Java. In fact, I'd be surprised if that doesn't end
up being the case at that point. But I do imagine seeing things like D,
Nemerle, Scala and Python thriving at that point.