New slides about Go

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Nov 23 17:37:49 PST 2010

"Bruno Medeiros" <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail> wrote in message
news:ibjd5l$2pv$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 11/11/2010 12:10, Justin Johansson wrote:

>>> I didn't get it... :/
>>> (Nick's joke that is)
>>>

>> Hi Bruno,
>>
>> It is an English language word play on sound-alike words.
>>
>> Google on: "define: gonads"
>>
>> I think Nick was suggesting that someone/something gets some "balls"
>> though "ovaries" might not be out of the question also. :-)
>>
>> Trusting this explains well in your native language.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Justin
>
> So Nick already had "gonads" in mind on that post, is that the case?

My intended joke:

Google Go has "coroutines" that it calls "goroutines" ( Because "go" +
"coroutines" == "goroutines"). So I applied the same cutesy naming to
"monads": "go" + "monads" == "gonads". And like Justin said, "gonads" also
means "testicles" (and sometimes "ovaries"), so it's a pun and a rather odd
name for a programming language feature.

And somewhat ironically, it *would* take some serious gonads to name a
language feature "gonads". (In English, saying that something requires
balls/gonads/nuts/etc is a common slang way of saying it requires courage.)