What can the community do to help D?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Nov 24 07:22:37 PST 2010

On 23/10/2010 16:09, Peter Alexander wrote:
> There have been threads about what the biggest issues with D are, and
> about the top priorities for D are, but I don't think there has been a
> thread about what the best things are that the community can do to help D.
>
> Should people try to spread the word about D? I'm not even sure this is
> a good idea. We all know that D2 is far from stable at the moment, and
> getting people to try D in its current state might actually put them off
> (first impressions are very important).
>
> Should people try to help with dmd and Phobos? If so, what are the best
> ways to do that?
>
> Should people work on other D compilers (gdc and ldc in particular)? Is
> this even possible without a formal language specification?
>
> What else can we do to help? And what would we consider to be the *best*
> ways to help?

If you have good /Java skills/, the DDT project welcomes contributions
(http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/ddt/).

The *best* ways to help, it depends on your skills and area of
experience. One person may be much more useful and/or productive for the
D community doing one thing versus another.

But if you want to know which areas are better to have contributions
made, in my opinion it's the compilers, especially DMD. Second to that I
would say the rest of the toolchain (IDEs, build tools, debuggers).

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer