GDC2 [Re: GDC2 compilation warnings]

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Nov 24 09:45:52 PST 2010

>If you compare GDC1 and GDC2, you'll see the same thing. The problem is likely because Phobos2 is heavily templated in comparison to Phobos1, so you're pulling in a lot more functions than you bargain for.<

That little path tracer uses mostly the C std lib (or just it). And DMD2 produces a twice smaller program (unstripped), so I think the problem is elsewhere.

>Not sure what you are talking about. I'll be sure to have a look at it later though. :~)<

Recently I have shown here a benchmark for D/C++ templates, that computes the number a well known problem (N queens problem):
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=122677

>There is a Perl script included - gdmd - script that essentially mimics this dmd functionality.<

I see.

>File a bug against GCC then.<

I don't think they will change GCC about this. If this usability problem is to be solved, then it needs to be solved by GDC (or by the gdmd script that probably doesn't have this problem).

> man gdc

OK.

> version (GNU){}

I see. I think it has to be present in this page too:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/version.html

Is someone able to tell me if RAND_MAX is hard-coded in Phobos?

Bye,
bearophile