GCC 4.6

Emil Madsen sovende at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:40:32 PST 2010

On 25 November 2010 00:25, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Emil Madsen wrote:
>
>> And yea, bearophile brings up a lot of nice features, and Walter would
>> never have a chance to implement all of them himself, which might be good,
>> if everything bearophile suggests got into the language, we would have this
>> major language noone would ever be able to learn, nor use. However, if we
>> succeed in implementing the best ideas I do think we'll end up with a superb
>> output, however I do think we need to discuss a lot of issues and features,
>> and thats why I love bearophiles postings, simply because it gives the
>> community a lot to discuss.
>>
>> Just my opinion. - But I do think discussing a lot of features, even the
>> ones not really related, will help out the language in the end.
>>

> I think bearophile does a valuable service to us by bringing up discussion
> topics.
>
> My gripe is when he lists things that he wishes D did when D already does
> them and has for years. Case in point: D imports. It's irksome when he often
> writes from the perspective of assuming that D does it wrong while other
> languages are assumed to do it right. Case in point: design by contract, and
> his assumption that dmd was a primitive compiler that did not do data flow
> analysis while praising llvm's.
>
> My concern about that is that with the volume of his posts, I will miss
> some of them, and people inexperienced with D will presume those mistakes
> and misunderstandings are correct.
>
> I have no issue at all with bringing up factual shortcomings of D, even
> when I disagree about whether they are actual shortcomings or not. For
> example, it is a fact that D does not check for integer arithmetic overflow.
> Whether that's a problem or not is a fine topic for discussion.

Well I must agree with you, atleast on the part, about how he sometimes
seems negative about what dmd does. - And that tune, is obviously not nice
towards you, as your the one doing the hard work, but lets just try to
remember, that bearophile just wants D to be the best, eh?

What really is an issue for me currently, is that the mailing list seems
like its going a tad into war, that is between you and bearophile sometimes;
wheres you should instead be joining forces. - As it seems to me, D got
about the best compiler writer out there, and one of the best feature
requester/discusser :).

And I can understand you concerns, about how newcomers to D, might react
reading about all of these things bearophile complains about, and wants to
change/add.

- Just curious, how much of your time do you spend on reading this mailing
list a day?

(Excuse my somewhat bad english tonight (its 3am))

--
// Yours sincerely
// Emil 'Skeen' Madsen