Bearophile Was: Re: GCC 4.6

Architect smurf at vil.lage
Thu Nov 25 08:45:19 PST 2010

so Wrote:

> > Feel free to correct me, I don't claim to have made a complete or fully
> > accurate assessment of all the posts and proposal changes that were
> > discussed in the last 3-4 months or so.
>
> Sorry but you are a bit harsh here.
> If you go back, you'll see some very nice posts of him but recently his
> attitude a little bit different.
> This happens to people on D community every now end then, i think it is
> because we are also emotionally attached to D.
> I just hope he won't end up like a few others.

The facts don't lie. I appreciate bearophile's work quite a lot. But let's look at his accomplishments. I think he wastes his time studying esoteric language features and working as a "middle man" between two communities.

- He never touches compiler internals - this way he never learns to implement a language of his own.

- His suggestions are also badly argumented and too abstract to be of any use in D's development.

- He messes with toy programs and does not participate in big real world projects, which means that he has no senior/lead developer skills. He can't really say anything enlightening in these meaningful pragmatic discussions.

- His efforts in language competitions and wikis mostly attract novice users who get caught by marketing speech

- He is a lone wolf, the social status is really bizarre. A novice ponders why bearophile wants to help so much. The only sane explanation is that he is a real weirdo. Likes all other languages (especially python) much more, but still sticks with D. Why on earth?

Not trying to be rude or anything. Just food for thought 8-)