What are modules for?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Nov 26 00:51:47 PST 2010

On Friday 26 November 2010 00:44:03 Simen kjaeraas wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> > You can, create .di files which have function declarations
> > leaving the definitions in a .d file (
> > http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/dmd-
> > linux.html#interface_files ), but those are specific to dmd (as opposed
> > to the D
> > language)
>
> This is false. .di files are simply .d files with a different extension.
> Any compiler that supports the compilation of .d files will support .di
> files (granted, it may only look for .d files).

I believe that Walter has stated that .di files are a dmd-specific thing and are
not actually a part of the D language. That doesn't stop other compilers from
supporting them, but they are effectively a dmd-specific language extension. The
language itself specifies .d files as being d source files but says nothing about
.di files.

- Jonathan M Davis