Looking for champion - std.lang.d.lex

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Nov 26 07:45:08 PST 2010

On 24/11/2010 21:12, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> bearophile schrieb:
>> Bruno Medeiros:
>>
>>> On the other hand, I would be surprised if a person of the female
>>> variety
>>> would be that interested in D, to the point of contributing in such way.
>>
>> In Python newsgroups I have seen few women, now and then, but in the D
>> newsgroup so far... not many. So far D seems a male thing. I don't
>> know why. At the university at the Computer Science course there are a
>> good enough number of female students (and few female teachers too).
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> At my university there are *very* few woman studying computer science.
> Most women sitting in CS lectures here are studying maths and have to do
> some basic CS lectures (I don't think they're the kind that would try D
> voluntarily).
> We have two female professors though.

It is well know that there is a big gender gap in CS with regards to
students and professionals. Something like 5-20% I guess, depending on
university, company, etc..

But the interesting thing (although also quite unfortunate), is that
this gap takes a even greater dip downwards when you consider the
communities of FOSS developers/contributors. It must be well below 1%!
(note that I'm not talking about *users* of FOSS software, but only
people who actually contribute code, whether for FOSS projects, or for
their own indie/toy projects)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer