C#'s greatest mistakes

BLS windevguy at hotmail.de
Sat Nov 27 12:41:02 PST 2010

On 27/11/2010 20:53, Roman Ivanov wrote:
> On 11/27/2010 2:49 PM, BLS wrote:
>> On 27/11/2010 04:27, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> http://oredev.org/2010/sessions/c-s-greatest-mistakes
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Frankly said, I am a bit nagged by your overoptimistic D view.
>>  From my point of view it is opportune to encourage people to use D2 for
>> real world applications. We (our company)  having a 20K+
>> customer base are not able (and willing) to use D instead of C#, except
>> for tiny in-house projects.  why>   database, gui, xml, just to name the
>> top 3 issues.
>
> Out of curiosity, what kind of XML support would you need?

 From Setup storage to WSDL to Restful  services. (But it is almost
about online ordering of material)

>> So .. What about an "where C#  shines and D sucks" article. Let us start
>> with LINQ in D, or do you prefer to talk about phobos collections ?
>
> Is something like LINQ possible in D?

I don't think so. (ATM, several people have tried by using string mixins)
  But I can imagine at least one (imo) smart solution.
Enable compiler plug-in's so that you can write ..

void ExecSQLQuery()
   DataTable dt = new DataTable();

   SQL92{ /*like asm {} */
     dt = SELECT * FROM Customer WHERE IsPotentialClient = 1;

//which translates into D code  (the D lexer/parser unit calls the D2
SQL92 Translator generator which generated this D source)

   import SQL92
   dt = db.Select("SELECT * FROM Customer WHERE PotentialClient = 1");

This translation feature could be generic.. we can create a translator
based on
Annotated EBNF In -> Annotated EBNF out

In fact I've created a tool (in Java) to translate SQL scripts. Firebird
to  MSSQL respective PosgreSQL.
Hope this gives you an idea.. :)
Bjoern