Logical const

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Nov 28 14:02:02 PST 2010

Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Walter is certainly against logical constness,

I don't know of any language that provides logical constness as a feature. I
know of no way to make it a statically verifiable attribute. Doing it with
runtime checks is arbitrarily complex (imagine having to verify with a runtime
check that one didn't change a 1Gb data structure).

D has a focus on providing features that promote verifiability of programs. As
programs inevitably get more complex, I believe this is crucial (as opposed to
the older technique of relying on convention).