C#'s greatest mistakes

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 17:49:21 PST 2010

On 28/11/2010 21:35, Roman Ivanov wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 1:25 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> I haven't actually used LINQ, but I've never understood the
>>> appeal of it versus an object API that gets rid of SQL in
>>> user code entirely.
>>
>> I'm on the other side... why bother getting rid of SQL at all?
>> Well, I can see the appeal, but I've never seen a system that
>> lived up to the promises. Avoiding writing SQL tends to be
>> more trouble than it's worth if you ask me.
>
> The trouble is that people try to get rid of SQL in their code, while
> using SQL-driven databases. The resulting systems are still limited by
> SQL, because in the end that's what gets run.

Moreover, if the application is running on a different machine from the
database, having an object API instead of SQL to do the processing can
slow things down considerably.

The company I worked for until recently had for its task management
system an Access database stored on the fileserver.  That way, all data
processing happens on the client side - so when working from home and
accessing it through VPN, it would be unbearably slow.  (And before you
ask, yes we did have Remote Desktop, but something about licensing meant
that we couldn't use any of the Office apps through it.)  If only it had
been done as a server-client database app just like all the other
software we developed....

Stewart.