D's greatest mistakes

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Sun Nov 28 22:11:24 PST 2010

Jack Wrote:

> The post "C#'s greatest mistakes" prompts/begs this post. Have at it,
> pick up the ball and run with it, don't be shy. I expect Walter and
> Andrei to answer (if Walter and Andrei so dare!) after others' posts have
> stopped or stagnated into that cesspool of threaded discussion that is
> "the subthread" or "tangential thread" (which surely needs a rock
> anthem).

What I can see now, mistakes are mostly syntactical like switch, auto, const, rebindable, array ops, full slice, arbitrary-code-contracts instead of single bool expression. Choice for round braces for templates leads to slightly unreadable template code: foo!(params params)(yet more params). Omissible parens feel like omissible semicolons :-/
Implicitly nested classes.
Versions should be typed variables.
C baggage is still around.
Extensive use of unsigned ints.
Well, I admit, properties are hard to get good.

Zealous backward compatibility with baggage, early desing and legacy code: these issues are no more fixable, I'm afraid.