D's greatest mistakes

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Nov 29 04:13:20 PST 2010

Don:

> D has been far too ambitious, given the available resources.

My opinion is a bit different. The Haskell motto is: "Avoid success at all costs". This because the more complex a language is, the more time it needs to develop its features in a good way. If a language has too much early success, its features can't be changed, because people ask for some backward compatibility, so the design errors can't be fixed.

D has had the very unusual chance to fix itself, with the D2 language not backward compatible. But then it was finalized too much early, this is in my opinion the greatest D2 mistake. D2 is a C++-class language, so it's large and complex, so it needs some other years to be designed well.

Bye,
bearophile