D's greatest mistakes

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Nov 30 09:54:47 PST 2010

Simen kjaeraas:

> In my opinion, the syntax for is() is not all that bad.

Every time I have to use is() for something a bit more complex than just type equivalence, I have to go read the D docs, despite I have used it many times. But now I have memorized most other parts of D syntax.

> - It lacks is ( Type : TypeSpecialization , TemplateParameterList ) and
>      is ( Type == TypeSpecialization , TemplateParameterList )

I think is() needs less stuff, not more. The functionality needs to be moved to a nicer syntax (and according to Andrei a better semantics too).

Bye,
bearophile