tolf and detab

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 05:48:18 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 07:54:01AM -0400, bearophile wrote:
> > barring crazy stuff like dynamic scoping)
>
> I don't know what dynamic scoping is, do you mean that crazy nice thing named dynamic typing? :-)

"Nice"? I hate dynamic typing with a passion! It offers very few benefits
and only in very specific locations....

Anyway, dynamic scoping is where a variable name can refer to different
things based on where it is in runtime. The language walks to stack upward
to find the first instance of the variable. So a local variable in a calling
function can override a global name in the function it calls.

I've seen it in Common Lisp; I find it weird. But there's an example
on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_scoping#Dynamic_scoping