Fedora 14 will integrate D into the distribution

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sat Oct 2 09:01:02 PDT 2010

Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:28:33 +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> On 2010-09-29 13:02, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 06:54:02 -0400, Daniel Gibson
>> <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What a pity. Are there plans for porting gdc to GCC 4.5 or 4.6?
>>>
>>> IIRC there were discussions about including a D compiler (possibly
>>> GDC) into GCC - what's the status of that?
>>
>> IIRC, In order for that to happen, Walter would have to assign the
>> copyright for the front end to GNU, not likely...
>>
>> -Steve
>
> Wasn't there talk about forking the DMD front end and assign the
> copyright of the fork to GNU, if I recall correctly. Then DMD and the
> fork would continue to evolve on their own.

I'd like to know how this is possible. I know it's possible to relicense
code, but how can it have two copyright owners, one per copy, when the
copies are identical and one is a copy of the other. It's the same code.
Sure, if both parties start from scratch and work independently, but now
it's the *same* work. I'm also asking this because it affects a lot of
situations outside this community.