About DbC, pros & cons

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Oct 2 10:25:25 PDT 2010

retard wrote:
> A modern developer would actually use Python to write code for the space
> shuttle. Walter had this article about hardware/software reliability. If
> you write 20 implementations of the same program in Python and let the
> computers vote, you'll get much safer systems than with statically typed
> languages.

That's a misunderstanding of what I wrote. I wrote that to get safer systems,
the redundant systems must be independent of each other - the more independent,
the better. For example:

1. different CPUs
2. different hardware
3. different programming languages
4. different algorithms
5. different programming teams

Static or dynamic typing has nothing to do with it, unless you use one in one
system and the other in the other.

20 implementations in Python may all fail to the same problem with the Python
runtime.