The Many Faces of D - slides [ot]

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sun Oct 3 15:24:27 PDT 2010

Sun, 03 Oct 2010 16:46:19 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
> news:i89npm$tst$2 at digitalmars.com...
>> Sun, 03 Oct 2010 03:28:09 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> The slides for my Sep. 15 talk at NWCPP:
>>>
>>> http://nwcpp.org/images/stories/nwcpp-2010-09.pdf
>>
>> On a side note, I noticed that Walter is still using OpenOffice 2.4
>> from March 2008. 9 new releases have been announced after that :-) I
>> doubt it has any effect on these slides, but the latest versions might
>> offer better user experience.
>
> Heh, I'm still using OpenOffice 1.1 just because it doesn't have those
> terribly ugly menubar/toolbar gradients (an old screenshot I used to
> demonstrate it to the boneheaded OOO developers who tried to tell me
> that it was just my system and not OpenOffice:
> http://www.semitwist.com/download/OpenOfficeVisualCompare.jpg They ended
> up ignoring it.) I know that's a really trivial reason, but I haven't
> had any problems with 1.1, so I've had no real reason to upgrade either.

This is what OpenOffice 3.2.1 looks like [on Linux] (sorry for having a
bit larger resolution):

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?72b470923c.png

Last time I heard, the next OpenOffice/LibreOffice might switch to the
ribbon style, though.

The more recent versions have lots of new features. For example
compatibility with the unholy office xml formats is much better.