The Many Faces of D - slides

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 3 16:05:19 PDT 2010

retard wrote:
> Is this also true for Haskell/OCaml/SML/Erlang/Clojure/Lisp programmers?
> Nothing new to learn when using the "functional" features of D? Does TCO
> work well? Other common optimizations such as common deforestation
> techniques? The sad fact is, there's no need to learn new stuff ONLY when
> one comes from C/C++. Users of every other language have very much to
> learn. Not necessarily in a good way.

If they're already using D, they don't have to learn a totally new grammar/style
when deciding to use a functional style.

Really, *why* force people to rewrite their loops to use tail recursion? It's a
giant turn-off, and completely unnecessary.

And D does do tail call elimination, if you *want* to write your code that way.
The point is, D doesn't require it if you don't like it.

I also think you're way, way overstating your case when you argue that the only
language D is grammatically similar to is C and C++. It's also similar to Java
and C#, and when you combine the users of C, C++, Java, and C# you're probably
covering 90+% of the programmers out there. That's a feature, not something sad.