We need to kill C syntax for declaring function types

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Oct 4 10:18:51 PDT 2010

Don:

> That is, it doesn't work out if it was intended to be a constructor, it
> gives the same error message for any function with no return type.

It seems this little patch of yours fixes something like 4 different bug reports present in Bugzilla :-)

I suggest to add to the D docs a note that lists all the purposes of the -d command line switch, including accepting C function pointers.

So the -cstyle command line switch may be replaced by the -d. Regarding bug 4580, is it possible to use the -d switch to deprecate (and re-enable when it is used) C-style array declarations too? (Bug 4580 talks about two extra warnings too, they too may be tied to the -d switch, but they are less important).

Bye and thank you,
bearophile