Is D right for me?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 07:00:48 PDT 2010

Gour D. schrieb:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:39:30 +0200
>
> Daniel> try http://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/Home :-)
>
> Ahh, this looks much better. Thanks. ;)
>
> Daniel> I don't think it's as serious, because afaik Walter is not the
> Daniel> only one developing the dmd compiler (and thus familiar with
> Daniel> it) and, more importantly, there are alternative D compilers
> Daniel> (gdc and ldc, with at least gdc being actively developed).
>
> So, both gdc & ldc are open-source?

Yes.

> What about standard libs?

They're open source, too (boost license for phobos, is said to be even
more liberal than BSD license, there is an alternative standard lib for
D1 - tango[1] - that uses a BSD license and the "Academic Free License
v3.0"[2]).
Also, there are already several people maintaining/developing Phobos
(not just Walter and Andrei Alexandrescu).

Cheers,
- Daniel

[1] http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/
[2] http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/LibraryLicense