Is D right for me?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Oct 5 07:01:41 PDT 2010

Daniel Gibson wrote:
> Gour D. schrieb:
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:52:22 +0200
>>
>> Simen> I believe GDC supports ARM.
>>
>> Hmm, baes on http://dgcc.sourceforge.net/ it looks it is not overly
>> active?
>
> try http://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/Home :-)
>

>> Simen> The bus-factor of D is sadly close to 1. If Walter should choose
>> Simen> to leave, we have a problem. On the other hand, I don't think a
>> Simen> mere bus would keep him from continuing the project.
>>
>> Uhh...this is almost like a showstopper or, at least, very strong
>> anti-adoption pattern. :-(
>>

> I don't think it's as serious, because afaik Walter is not the only one
> developing the dmd compiler (and thus familiar with it) and, more
> importantly, there are alternative D compilers (gdc and ldc, with at
> least gdc being actively developed).
>
> So even if Walter, for whatever reason, stops developing D, there is -
> IMHO - a good chance that others will continue his efforts and keep D
> alive.

Look at the changelog for the last three releases. During that time,
Walter has worked almost exclusively on the backend for the 64-bit
compiler. If there were no community involvement, there would have been
almost no progress on the 32-bit compiler. Yet the rate of compiler bug
fixing has not fallen.

I would estimate the truck factor as between 2.0 and 2.5. Two years ago,
the truck factor was 1.0, but not any more.