Is there anybody working on a linear algebra library for D2?

Gareth Charnock gareth.charnock at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 07:46:11 PDT 2010

On 05/10/10 14:41, Michael Chen wrote:
> I remember that one of D's goal is easy scientific computation.
> However I haven't seen any linear algebra package for D2. My work
> heavily relays on all kinds of matrix stuff (matrix multiplication,
> factorization, linear system etc). I like D and am willing to work
> with D. However without these facilities I can hardly start. I'd like
> to have a matrix library of which the API is kind of like Matlab.
> Is there anybody working on this or planning to work on this?
>
> Regards,
> Michael

I've attempted this in the past, however, each time I manage to work up
renewed enthusiasm I keep running into compiler bugs that put me off. My
current feeling is I should sit back at wait for the language to mature
a little.

However, once D does mature there are some neat tricks that would be
possible in a matrix library. For a start you could easily build
something like ATLAS with all the tuning parameters being passed as
template parameters. Another neat trick might be verifying that a matrix
is othoginal/unitary/whatever with invariants. Again a static if and a
template parameter makes this feature really trivial to add.

As for things that aren't vaporware,
http://www.dsource.org/projects/mathextra/browser/trunk/blade might be a
good place to start.