Is D right for me?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 03:36:29 PDT 2010

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:24:02 -0400, Gour D. <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 23:59:07 +0400
>
> Denis> ...increasingly more people are unsatisfied with D2 and talking
> Denis> about a fork so I wouldn't be surprised to see one sooner or
> Denis> later (!)
>
> Unsatisfied that D2 changed (too) much or with bugs and development in
> general?
>
> To me, it looks very early to fork D2...

I think the blog mentions forking D1 and adding certain useful features
 from D2.

Forking D1 might be the only way to add new features to it.  I think many
yearn for some of the useful, stable features of D2, but aren't willing to
put up with the not-yet-cooked features of D2.  You don't have a choice at
the moment, if you want D2 features, you must use D2, and the only
up-to-date implementation of it -- dmd.  On top of that, phobos is a long
way from being finished, but it is progressing rapidly, there are many
good developers working on it (as opposed to DMD which has 3).

I personally do not share that pessimistic view, and I don't think I'll
ever go back to D1 anyways, since the D1 phobos library is pretty
underpowered.  D2/phobos2 will get there, perhaps in a year or so.

-Steve