Suggestions for std.stream (esp. for 64bit)

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 10:17:08 PDT 2010

Steven Schveighoffer schrieb:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:46:37 -0400, Daniel Gibson
> <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm using some of std.stream's classes (and also SocketStream) in a
>> project of mine (it currently uses D1 but std.Stream hasn't changed
>> much so all this is valid for D2 as well).
>> std.stream is mostly what I expect from classes for Streams (having
>> experience with Java's equivalents). However there are a few things
>> that I think could/should be improved.
>
> [snip]
>
> Sorry to have missed this earlier -- std.stream is going to be
> deprecated AFAIK.  std.stdio is what is planned to replace it.
>
> -Steve

That's a pity, I kind of like the streams concept. It's handy to  be
able to e.g. use a file and a network stream alike (of course the latter
is not seekable, but if you just want to read/append that doesn't matter).

However IMHO at least that 64bit write(char[]) issue should be fixed now
that DMD (also for D1) is ported to AMD64.

Cheers,
- Daniel