Is D right for me?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Oct 6 11:50:34 PDT 2010

Gour D. wrote:
> Anders> http://wxwidgets.blogspot.com/2010/07/gsoc-2010-mid-term.html
> Anders>
> Anders> And http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/WxQt for the current state of the
> Anders> port.
>
> Thank you for those links. It is very nice to see wxQT getting a nice
> shape, but the problem is with wxD - it's D1 only and I'm sure that,
> considering we don't have D1 legacy, there is no reasonable to think
> about D1 (especially in comparison with Haskell's features).

wxD should build with D2 and Tango, just that I don't feel like
supporting them any more. It only does the 2.6 version API, too.

That mostly means it was written for GDC (with Phobos) and wx 2.8;
not that it couldn't be updated to D2 and wx3, if you wanted to ?

http://wxd.sourceforge.net/#d2
http://wxd.sourceforge.net/#tango

It's not a port (from C++), though. And that is a design decision.
Also means all languages can share the system wxWidgets libraries.

If you wanted to *port* it to D, you would need to also port all
the system headers too (some of which are in C++ and Objective-C)

DWT would be better, in that case:
http://wxd.sourceforge.net/#dwt

The idea was to have an open source compiler and GUI and IDE bundle.
Cross-platform, so that it would work on Windows, Macintosh, Unix.

I think if you are starting over with D2, that Qt is a better choice.
It is LGPL now, and looks native enough. And it doesn't need porting.

http://wxd.sourceforge.net/#screenshots
http://wxd.sourceforge.net/#codeblocks

--anders