Tuple assignment

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Oct 6 23:58:11 PDT 2010

Russel Winder wrote:
> Python may be the best base to compare things to as tuple assignment has
> been in there for years.
>
> Pythons choice is not a car/cdr approach but an exact match approach.
> so if t represents a tuple datum or a function returning a tuple:
>
>         x = t
>
> then x is a tuple -- remembering that variables are all just references
> to objects implemented via keys in a dictionary, and:
>
>         a , b , c = t
> or
>         ( a , b , c ) = t
>
> is tuple assignment where now t is required to be a tuple of length 3.
> cf.

The first thought was to make it an exact match approach. Andrei thought that
the car/cdr one was better, though, and I find it intuitively appealing, too.
Perhaps Python missed an important use case?

Or perhaps the ambiguity as to whether the last item gets to be a value or
another tuple is too much.