"in" everywhere

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Oct 7 07:52:10 PDT 2010

On 10/7/10 6:54 CDT, atommixz wrote:
> It would be nice if it were possible to use the "in" expression wherever
> possible. Now it is only implemented for associative. arrays. (Weird).
> Examples of how this could be used:
> - Find string in string
> - Search for a character in a string
> - Search for an item in the array, array of characters, array of strings,
> tuples, enum, structure
> - what else?
>
> In Python done something like this.
>
> Here it would be useful to me
> http://code.google.com/p/atommixz/source/browse/analyze-x86/analyze-x86.py
> http://code.google.com/p/atommixz/source/browse/analyze-x86/analyzex86.d

I'm a bit leary of adopting this feature (it has been discussed). To me
"in" implies a fast operation and substring searching isn't quite it.

One thing that could be done is to allow "in" with literal arrays to
their right:

if (x in ["abcde", "asd"]) { ... }

The size of the operand is constant, known, and visible.

Andrei