Is D right for me?

Gour D. gour at atmarama.net
Thu Oct 7 07:55:46 PDT 2010

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 00:24:52 +1100
>>>>>> "Justin" == Justin Johansson wrote:

Justin> I think that long are the days that a single individual (or
Justin> corporation) can "own" a language.  It will be an unwinnable
Justin> battle so long as the governance of D is under the auspices of
Justin> a single mortal.

I agree that, based on my short research about D, I see several
places with the label 'room for improvement' like (more) open
development process, using of DVCS, planning releases, better
organized web sites, up-to-date wiki, more docs etc.

Still, I believe that things are improving or, at least, there are
still people enthused with D. That's why I'm curious how to proceed my
evaluation phase in order to be able to properly decide for our
project? (Running 108 variations of "Hello world" is not adequate
test, neither of the language, nor for the tools.)

So, my question is whether is there some option to get more complete
coverage of the language (D2) besides TDPL book which will require
some time to arrive here in Croatia (I found that book is worthy
purchase no matter what we decide about D eventually)?

Justin> There is too much risk for investors of time let alone pecuniary
Justin> investors under the current regime.

I agree here...this is e.g. one of the reasons to cautious to invest
my time in learning & using ConTeXt (http://www.pragma-ade.com/)
seeing it practically as one-man-band mostly pushed by one developer
(Hans Hagen), no matter how talented he is and I'll continue using
LyX/LaTeX.

btw, my question on SO

(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3863111/haskell-or-d-for-gui-desktop-application
or http://is.gd/fPK36)

got one nice response from Don Stewart who wrote: "Let's tease out
some requirements here, and I'll try to make the Haskell case. Perhaps
the D fans or others could try to do the same.", so it would be nice,
at least for other users, that some more experienced D user writes The
Case for D (no pun intended).

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: CDBF17CA