"in" everywhere

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Oct 7 16:42:16 PDT 2010

On Thursday, October 07, 2010 16:39:15 Tomek Sowiński wrote:
> Simen kjaeraas napisał:
> > Tomek Sowiński <just at ask.me> wrote:
> >> Even if the attribute properties could see the arguments, how to deal
> >> with things like
> >> lhs.length + rhs.length? It has to be inspectable at compile-time. One
> >> idea is to store the
> >> expression's abstract syntax tree (we want AST macros in D3 anyway)...
> >> But I got a feeling
> >> we're heading for an overkill :)
> >
> > Just as soon as we solve the halting problem, eh?
>
> What's the halting problem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

It's a classic problem in computer science. Essentially what it comes down to is
that you can't determine when - or even if - a program will halt until it
actually has. It's why stuff like file transfer dialogs can never be totally
accurate. And best, you can estimate how long a file transfer will take based on
the current progress, but you can't _know_ when it will complete. It's even
worse for algorithms where you can't even estimate how much work there is left.
And of course, you don't even necessarily know that the program _will_ halt. It
could be an infinite loop for all you know.

- Jonathan M Davis