On C/C++ undefined behaviours

so so at so.do
Thu Oct 7 19:47:43 PDT 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:31:49 +0300, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote:

> Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:08:41 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> On 08/22/2010 03:31 PM, retard wrote:
>>> I'm just asking, why software like this should be written in buggy D if
>>> production ready Java already executes fast enough? You must desire
>>> absolute hard-core super mega performance to justify the use of D.
>>
>> Assuming the question is not tendentious: The decision of choosing a
>> language has quite a few more ingredients than speed of generated code
>> and quality of implementation.
>
> It's really not intentionally tendentious although I often have that kind
> of tone. We used to have a desperate need for systems programming
> languages in gamedev mostly because of the efficiency concerns. Some
> 320x200x8bit VGA game would have had 0.1 FPS on 80486 / Python!
>
> Now, given that we're not developing any AAA titles anyway, the major VM
> languages such as C# and Java are actually good enough. No more dangerous
> unsafe memory operations (pointer arithmetic, segfaults etc.). Those
> languages come with mature gamedev frameworks and the performance is
> orders of magnitude better than one could hope. E.g. XNA 4.0 and Unity3D
> 3.0 are very competitive despite some backwards compatibility problems.
> You don't even write much code anymore, it's just few mouse clicks here
> and there. I feel the network effect is against D here.

Both of these engines are for artists or small games, no serious game
engine built on nothing but C++,
though not saying it is great, it is just best tool for the job.

I am sure most of the people that actually into D is high performance
application coders, others really don't have many reasons for a migration.