Tuple literal syntax

Thu Oct 7 23:32:16 PDT 2010

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 23:04:35 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> There have been a couple of looong threads about tuples:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/
Reddit_why_aren_t_people_using_D_93528.html

> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/
Should_the_comma_operator_be_removed_in_D2_101321.html

> A lot of it foundered on what the syntax for tuple literals should be.
> The top of the list is simply enclosing them in ( ). The problem with
> this is
>
>   (expression)
>
> Is that a parenthesized expression, or a tuple? This really matters,
> since (e)[0] means very different things for the two. Finally, I got to
> thinking, why not just make it a special case:
>

>   ( ) == tuple
>   (a) == parenthesized expression
>   (a,b) == tuple
>   (a,b,c) == tuple
>   (a,b,c,d) == tuple
>
> etc.
>
> No ambiguities! Only one special case. I submit this special case is
> rare, because who wants to define a function that returns a tuple of 1?
> Such will come about from generative programming, but:
>
> (a,b,c)[0]
>
> may be how the generative programming works, and that suggests:
>
> (a,0)[0]
>
> as how a user could generate a tuple of 1. Awkward, sure, but like I
> said, I think this would be rare.

--vote;

Personally, I don't think we should start adding a dedicated tuple syntax
at this point.  There are so many things that are more important, and
besides, I think the library tuples are pretty cool.  We should instead
focus on making Tuple!(...) even better.

-Lars