CMake for D2 ready for testers

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Oct 8 09:26:25 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 16:34 +0200, Gour D. wrote:

> Do you recommend to learn & use CMake instead of using tools like
> Xfbuild (I'm interested for D project and, so far, was accustomed to
> Haskell's Cabal, so looking for similar experience.)

For C, C++, Fortran, and hence D, I personally find CMake awkward and
clumsy.  I generally prefer SCons or Waf -- Waf is originally a fork of
SCons but now is its own thing, and is aimed at being an Autotools
replacement ("get source download and build on this machine" type
model).  SCons is better at handling the sort of situation I have:
source repository shared by many platforms all needing builds in situ.
Waf is somewhat faster than SCons.  For my sins I am peripherally
involved in the SCons development community, and I at some time elected
myself as the maintainer of the D plugin -- the plugin as D shipped
until recently with SCons assumed D 1.0 and I am only using D 2.0.  So
when I asked who could fix the problem, the answer came back "you can",
so I did, sort of :-) It would be good if there was a community of
D/SCons users so as to get some headway on making the SCons D plugin as
good as it needs to be.

Isn't Cabal a dependency resolution system rather than a build system?
i.e. Cabal sits in the same sort of position as Apt, Ivy, the Maven
dependency resolution system, rather than being the equivalent of Ant
+Ivy or Maven as a whole.  (C, C++, Fortran, and D seem to be less
interested in depndency resolution than the JVM-based milieu of Java,
Scala, Groovy, Clojure, etc. hence the Ant/Maven perspective.)

I also tried starting a Haskell SCons plugin but haven't really got it
moving properly as yet.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk