CMake for D2 ready for testers

klickverbot see at klickverbot.at
Sat Oct 9 04:01:39 PDT 2010

On 10/9/10 11:40 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> Well KDE was about to choose bksys (the immediate ancestor of Waf) until
> some nasty politiking went on and all of a sudden they chose CMake.  I
> don't know all the details, but I know enough to say that that decision
> was not made based on a proper study.

If you accuse someone of not basing the decision »on a proper study«, I
am sure you have some references on hand for that? Usually, a lot of
decisions regarding KDE is made based on a meritocracy-like system,
»nasty politiking« isn't something I'd expect to see very often…

This article[1] from the KDE build system maintainer paints quite a
different picture. It seems that they indeed tried to use SCons, even
actively worked at the SCons extension bksys (as in »Build Kde System«).
Apparently, however, a number of not quite easily resolvable problems
popped up (including missing support by the SCons upstream), so they
ditched SCons/bksys and went with CMake.

Later on, somebody decided to do a complete rewrite of bksys/SCons,
because some of the problems were apparently related so closely to the
internals of SCons that there was no other feasible way of fixing them.

I agree that the macro language of CMake is probably not the most
beautiful solution (a port to Lua is planned, IIRC), but it has been
proven to work almost flawlessly on huge projects. Even for the build
system cracks of the KDE project, autotools was a constant source of
trouble back when they used it – CMake apparently has solved most of the
problems, while SCons/bksys failed at it.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/188693/