CMake for D2 ready for testers

Gour D. gour at atmarama.net
Sat Oct 9 07:48:15 PDT 2010

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 11:30:44 +0100
>>>>>> "Russel" == Russel Winder wrote:

Russel> > Can you keep me informed about the result? Just curious which
Russel> > features influenced your final decision.
Russel>
Russel> I'd love to know as well.  All too often people make decisions
Russel> and the decision gets promulgated, but without the rationale
Russel> for the decision. It is the decision+rationale that is so
Russel> useful for future decision making.

OK.

Based on that I've read & tried, I'm going to start with Waf.

Rationale?

a) I consider it's better investment of my time to become a little bit
more familiar with Python in order to write Waf scripts (I'll have to
tinker with e.g. Roundup tracker etc.) instead of learning another
scripting language used in only one product.

b) Missing features in Waf can be added considering there is complete
programming language on disposal in comparison with limited and
obscure language in CMake.

c) although not up-to-date, but this benchmark
(http://tinyurl.com/25do5ez) and some other reviews show that
performance of Waf is quite decent in comparison with CMake and
consider we won't write a new KDE, we consider it is enough for out
purpose.

d) Waf works on all the platforms we need, has normal support via
mailing list, IRC and it is actively developed.

e) it is, imho, more open-source project with decent documentation,
iow. no need to google alot nor to buy (expensive) book to master it.

f) there is out-of-the box support for D

g) considering that Was is 'better' or 'fixed' Scons and projects like
Samba are using it, we hope it will fulfill all our needs for a
multi-platform GUI project in D.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: CDBF17CA