Is D right for me?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 17:27:55 PDT 2010

bioinfornatics schrieb:
> LDC support 64 bit ;)

as well as GDC.

But both currently lack an up-to-date D2 compiler (but the GDC guys are
at least working on it, seems like they're currently at 2.029 - which is
great - about 3 months ago they were still at 2.018 and in between was
the big 2.020 update that introduced druntime).

I agree with walter that 64bit support in DMD is very important,
especially for D2: I started a project a few months ago that might have
benefited from D2s features (especially ranges), but I decided to use D1
because no 64bit compiler for D2 was in sight.

I am btw a bit worried about "upgrading" code from D1 to D2 some day
because of the heavy (still ongoing) changes, especially in phobos.
I read that for example std.stream is going to be deprecated and
replaced by either something with ranges or something like std.stdio
(whoever was right about that, maybe even both?). This means that all my
(file/network) IO-Code would have to be rewritten sooner or later..
But, currently lacking an alternative to std.stream/std.socketstream for
networking, I would have had the same problems even if I had started the
project with D2...