Is D right for me?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Oct 12 02:56:05 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 02:45:33 pipe dream wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:
> > On 10/11/2010 12:38 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> > > But parts of phobos are deprecated or will be deprecated and there
> > > still is no alternative for them.
> > > That may prevent people from writing "real" projects in D2 (or D at
> > > all) - who wants to use classes that will be deprecated soon?
> > > Sure, that old stuff will not be removed and can still be used, but I
> > > personally feel a bit uncomfortable with using deprecated code.
> >
> > Agreed. Maybe this is a good time to sart making a requirements list for
> > streams. What are the essential features/feature groups?
>
> You could take a look at Tango's I/O by Kris Bell. It seems to have an
> efficient and clean design.

Except that copying Tango is taboo. We want to avoid any possible accusation of
copying Tango's code or design. There have been issues in the past where Tango
devs thought that we might be doing that, and we just don't want to risk any
sort of problems with the Tango folks. So, whatever we put in Phobos, we do it
without looking at Tango.

- Jonathan M Davis