Is D right for me?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Oct 12 10:35:03 PDT 2010

On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 04:08:13 Simen kjaeraas wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> > Except that copying Tango is taboo. We want to avoid any possible
> > accusation of
> > copying Tango's code or design. There have been issues in the past where
> > Tango
> > devs thought that we might be doing that, and we just don't want to risk
> > any
> > sort of problems with the Tango folks. So, whatever we put in Phobos, we
> > do it
> > without looking at Tango.
>
> You know, we might consider asking them for permission. That way, there
> should be no problems.

That can be done, to be sure, but we definitely can't just look at their code -
or even API - and create something similar, and from what I recall, most cases
of trying to get permission have a been a problem (primarily due to there being
multiple authors, I think). If there's only one author for the stream code in
Tango, that would be easier.

Regardless, the point is that we can't just go and look at the Tango API and use
it to give ourselves ideas on what to do with Phobos.

- Jonathan M Davis