[joke] D type system and making love in a canoe?

Simen kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 12:17:20 PDT 2010

Peter Alexander <peter.alexander.au at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/10/10 6:58 PM, Simen kjaeraas wrote:
>> Making love is often equated with the act of copulation, in
>> the vernacular called 'fucking'. In addition, that very same
>> word is used as an intensifying adjective, in the same way
>> as the word 'very'.
>
> I got that bit :-)

Glad to hear that. :p

>> Hence, making love in a canoe is akin to copulating in the
>> adjacent to water, and D's type system is (by the original
>> poster) considered as having the same structural integrity
>> as H2O.
>
> I've never heard a type system being compared to water :-/
>
> Even still, what makes D's type system watery?

I believe this is related to the post about the type of null.
Seeing as how null has no type, or at least none we may use,
it is a hole in the system, reducing its value in the eyes of
some people.

The original joke was about beer, which is easier to compare
to water - that means it is thin, without taste or other
properties considered positive in beer. Back to the type
system, such being watery would indicate it is weak, ad-hoc,
full of holes, or otherwise in an unfortunate condition.

--
Simen