What do people here use as an IDE?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 00:07:19 PDT 2010

On 13/10/10 4:15 AM, so wrote:
> Does Java come with a standard gui library? Yes.
> Does C come with a standard gui library? No.
>
> C didn't need a gui library to be successful, and didn't come with one.
> On the other hand Java/C# have to have one, packed, and they do come
> with (at least)one.
>
> If your language has a "system programming" in its feature lists, these
> kind of libraries have very low priority, let alone specific IDE.

C didn't need a GUI library because there was no competition with a GUI
library.

Like it or not, in this day and age, people expect GUI libraries and
IDEs. In fact, most programmers have no idea how to compile code without
an IDE. Moreover, most people think that the IDE and the language are
the *same thing* (evidenced by the number of people that tag their C++
theory questions as "visual studio" on stackoverflow.com).

I agree that solving the compiler bugs and language issues are top
priority, but after that, I'd say IDE and GUI library come next (doesn't
have to be a standard GUI library -- just any robust library).