Will uniform function call syntax apply to operator overloads?

Simen kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 04:00:43 PDT 2010

Peter Alexander <peter.alexander.au at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yeah, I also think it should at least be discouraged. I cannot see any
>> situations wherein allowing it would bring significant enough advantages
>> to warrant its use. That said, I am willing to accept there may be such
>> situations, and perhaps even that they should be allowed.
>
> Is that how you feel about UFC in general?

No.

> I can't see how operator overloads should receive discriminatory
> treatment with respect to their UFC-ability.

Nor do I, when thinking rationally. :p But over the years I've been
presented with so much FUD over operator overloading, I don't feel
entirely at ease with the possibility of adding operators to
third-party data structures. I guess I should keep to my usual
thoughts on this, though: stupid people will write stupid code, no
matter the tools given, so if someone abuses operator overloading,
just stay clear of their code. (and complain loudly if you can't)

--
Simen