[nomenclature] What is a bug?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Oct 13 04:30:56 PDT 2010

"Lutger" <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:i92j0v$cov$1 at digitalmars.com...

> Note that bugs may actually be wanted behavior. One such case is uniform
> function call syntax on arrays, which started life as a compiler bug.
> Afterwards, the spec was changed and thus the bug was solved.

Wanted behavior that you didn't know you wanted :) Funny how bugs will
occasionally inspire features.

Legend has it that combos in fighting games started out as a bug in the
original Street Fighter 2 (it would let you perform a new move while you
were already in the middle of certain other moves.) The "coin boxes with
multiple coins" in the original Super Mario Bros were added because an early
bug did that and it turned out to be fun. Happened to me once to: a
game-like demo I made for a hobbyist embedded system (Hydra) has a faked 3D
effect which I only thought to put in because an early bug in my rendering
code resulted in a similar (but less polished) 3D-like effect.