Visual D Build + DMD Bugginess = Bad

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 12:45:59 PDT 2010

I've noticed that, when passed multiple files at once, DMD is generally buggy
in ways that I can't reproduce in small test cases.  This includes things like
magically ignoring __gshared variables, and not being able to convert a type
to an alias to the same type, for example, not being able to convert a size_t
to a uint on 32-bit, or not being able to convert a float[] to an R where R is
a template parameter instantiated as float[].

I have two questions:

1.  Has anyone experienced similar things and if so are they further along
than me at creating decent test cases?

2.  I'm used to using Code::Blocks, but want to switch to Visual D because it
seems to work a lot better for the most part.  However, by default it seems to
pass all project files to the compiler at once, where Code::Blocks compiles
one file at a time.  This means I have to deal with DMD's bugginess when
passed mutliple files at once.  Does anyone know how to make Visual D work
Code::Blocks style, i.e. compile each file to an object file and link them
afterwords?