[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Oct 13 14:55:36 PDT 2010

On 04/09/2010 08:29, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Steven Schveighoffer"<schveiguy at yahoo.com>  wrote in message
> news:op.vig8crpreav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
>> >
>> >  And OMG, you've never bought a cell phone?  Why are you punishing yourself
>> >  ;)  I suppose with the attitude you have towards them it would just raise
>> >  your blood pressure carrying it around...
>> >
> It would :) But I have other reasons for not having one. One of them is that
> I just don't do anywhere near enough yapping (outside of NG text, of course
> ;) ) for it to be worthwhile. Cell companies don't even have a plan that
> would be small enough to be appropriate for me. But the landlines do, and
> with the tiny amount of talking I do, waiting until I get home to use the
> phone is a complete non-issue (especially since I'd be the only cell owner
> in the world to that would refuse to use it while driving). And I don't even
> *want*  to be reachable 24/7. Unlimited minutes? Forget it. Back when pay
> phones still existed, my away-from-home phone usage never totaled more than
> $5/yr. Try finding a cell plan that competes with that.

Are there no pay-as-you-go plans where you live? In Portugal (and the UK
as well) there are pay-as-you-go plans with no required top-ups, thus
they would cost you 0/yr if you made no calls. (you just had to receive
a call every 3 months to ensure you SIM remained active, but still no cost)
There must be something like that in the US.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer