Streaming library

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:23:39 PDT 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 02:01:24 +0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 10/13/10 16:05 CDT, Denis Koroskin wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 00:19:45 +0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
>
> To substantiate my brief answer:
>
>> This library code needs to be put somewhere. I just believe it belongs
>> to line-reader, not a generic stream. By putting line reading into a
>> stream interface, you want make it more efficient.
>
> I assume you meant "won't" instead of "want". So here you're saying that
> line-oriented I/O does not belong in the interface because it won't make
> things more efficient.
>
> But then your line reading code is extremely efficient by using the
> interface you yourself embraced.

By adding readln() to the stream interface you will only move that code
 from ByLine to Stream implementation. The code would be still the same.

How can you make it any more efficient? I've read fgets() source code that
comes with Microsoft CRT, and it does exactly the same what I did (i.e.
fill buffer, read byte-by-byte, copy to output string).
It also puts restrictions on line size while I didn't (that's why I had to
use an Appender). I also did a line copy (dup) so that I could return
immutable string.

You see, it's not the Stream interface that make that code less efficient,
it's the additional functionality over C API it provides.

> Andrei
>
> P.S. I think I figured the issue with your fonts: the header
> Content-type contains "charset=KOI8-R". That charset propagates through
> all responses. Does anyone know how I can ignore it?

I've changed that to utf-8. Did it help?