[OT] Dark Star (1974) - the platinum age of movies

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Oct 13 15:49:29 PDT 2010

On 02/09/2010 06:46, Walter Bright wrote:

> Real sci-fi is based on a "what if X" and then a story is built around
> it. 2001 is what if we find an artifact on the moon? Colossus is what if
> a defense computer becomes sentient? Soap operas, horse operas, etc.,
> aren't really sci-fi even if they are in spaceships. Monster movies are
> sci-fi, but the genre is so tired (something is killing the crew one by
> one!) that I really don't want to see another one.

2001 A Space Odissey is about much, much more than "what if we find an
artifact on the moon" that its not even funny. :p

> Is Star Wars sci-fi? I'd say not, because spaceships are the setting,
> but have nothing to do with the plot which you could transfer wholesale
> to a western or an eastern. The fact that entire sequences seem to be
> lifted directly from "633 Squadron" also argues that it is not sci-fi.

I highly disagree that you could transfer the Star Wars plot wholesale
to a western. The Force is one big reason right there. Not only because
it is equivalent to magic or psionic powers, but also because apparently
it is (for better or worse) a central catalyst element in the moral
decisions and alignment of characters.

As for an eastern, what is that? A movie set in ancient China/Orient/Asia?

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer