What do people here use as an IDE?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Oct 13 16:24:12 PDT 2010

On Wednesday, October 13, 2010 16:06:18 sybrandy wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 09:57 PM, Michael Stover wrote:
> > Elephant appears dead.  Poseidon's activity is extremely low and is still
> > alpha after 5 years. LEDS is even less active, and DDT doesn't have a
> > release yet.  What do actual D programmers use?
> >
> > -Mike
>
> I stick with Vim.  Who needs anything else? :P
>
> Casey

Proper code completion, correctly jumping to function definitions, and various
other features that IDEs generally do well tend to be quite poor in vim. It can
do many of them on some level, but for instance, while ctags does give you the
ability to jump to function declarations, it does quite poorly in the face of
identical variable names across files. There are a number of IDE features that I
would love to have and use but vim can't properly pull off. When I have a decent
IDE, I'm always torn on whether to use vim or the IDE. vim (well, gvim)
generally wins out, but sometimes the extra abilities of the IDE are just too
useful. What I'd really like is full-featured IDE with complete and completely
remappable vim bindings.

- Jonathan M Davis