What do people here use as an IDE?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Oct 14 03:59:07 PDT 2010

Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:28:27 +0300, so wrote:

>> What's your definition of a "system language"? Being able to write
>> operating systems, OS drivers, kernel mode applications, embedded small
>> footprint applications, server applications, games, simulations, HPC?
>> If you only need one of these domains in your project, why should you
>> care about the rest - the right tool for the job, right?
>
> It is right, right (and only) tool in those domains, and as you can see
> it is kind of a large area.
> None of those languages are the right tool in those areas, are they?

I'm just saying that a single tool doesn't need to excel in all those
domains. Pick one problem and one language / set of languages for the
solution. Server programming and C# -- why not? I've even done that
commercially (nothing big, but anyway). Games in Scala -- doesn't sound
bad. It depends so much on the language's implementation.

>> I'm guessing your definition is the one that makes functional languages
>> or imperative languages with different syntax from C/C+++ look bad and
>> C/C
>> ++ shine. Your agenda is to crush all competition because the retarded
>> competitors think *differently* and that's dangerous!
>
> I said i like Haskell, also python... i am not an OOP fan. I don't have
> an agenda to crash any competition. How did you get here beyond me...
>
> Look, i said things like "OS" "C audience", "high performance", "system
> language". Is that really hard to get?

'High performance' and 'system language' are both badly defined. From
historical perspective something that *was* fast 30 years ago can't
nowadays compete with sofware written in the slower languages. In the
Java world the same binary might run faster on a more recent VM, but this
isn't the case with proprietary native executables. There's no single
answer to the question.

For example, is LLVM a good tool for high performance code? Does it have
lots of potential? I think it does. I think it's one of the best tools
for the job -- even funnier, the Glasgow Haskell is using LLVM as its
backend.